Baltimore City Metal Detecting Permit
What you need:
1) Before we certify your Baltimore City Metal Detecting Permit Application, you must demonstrate to us the ability to dig a six-inch hole in the turf outside using a digging tool (we will provide one) and correctly repair it, leaving no trace. For proper target recovery techniques click here.
2) Tender to an officer of the club a completed M.F.S.T.C. Baltimore City Permit Quiz about metal detecting. Get a copy here.
3) Print and complete the Baltimore City Metal Detecting Permit Application and read the rules associated with it. Please note: You do not need to enter your Social Security Number on the application. Also note: Metal Detecting Club information may not be up-to-date - search the Internet for updated info.
Download the Baltimore City Metal Detecting Permit Application here.
4) Have your application certified by a Maryland Free-State Treasure Club officer.
5) Obtain a $25 money order payable to "Director of Finance" and keep it with your application. Where does the money go? It goes directly to the Parks! NOT the city coffers.
6) Bring or mail the application to: Baltimore City Department of Recreation and Parks,
Permit Office Room 142,
3001 East Dr.,
Baltimore, MD 21217. 410-396-7070. The office is closed Thursday -
Open Mon, Tues, Wed and Friday 9-4, but the permit office seems to open around 9:30 AM.
7) If you mail the application and money order, keep a receipt of your money order with you while metal detecting to show that you've paid your money. Snail Mail can be slow.
8) Renewals: One need only submit a previous Baltimore City Metal Detecting Permit and a money order for $25 made out to "Director of Finance" to obtain a continuation. The money goes to the parks regardeless of the payee.
9) Commonly asked questions:
Is the permit based on a calendar year?
No. The permit is good for one year from the time you get it, and renewable thereafter.
I have a green permit from the days when you only had to pay once for a lifetime privledge to metal detect in Baltimore City Parks.
Things have changed. You now have to renew yearly.
Maryland Free-State Treasure Club
Victory Villa Community Center
Middle River Recreation and Parks building
404 Compass Rd.
Baltimore, MD 21220
410-887-0258 View Map