Baltimore City Metal Detecting Permit
What you need:
1) Before we certify your Baltimore City Metal Detecting Permit Application, you must demonstrate to us the ability to dig a six-inch hole in the turf outside using a digging tool (we will provide one) and correctly repair it, leaving no trace. For proper target recovery techniques click here.
2) Tender to an officer of the club a completed M.F.S.T.C. Baltimore City Permit Quiz about metal detecting. Get a copy here.
3) Print and complete the Baltimore City Metal Detecting Permit Application and read the rules associated with it. You do not need to enter your Social Security Number. Metal Detecting Club information may not be up-to-date - search the Internet for updated info.
Download the Baltimore City Metal Detecting Permit Application here.
4) Have your application certified by a Maryland Free-State Treasure Club officer.
5) Make a copy of your application for yearly permit renewals. The permit office requires proof of certification to renew a yearly permit. Otherwise, you will have to get a metal detecting club's stamp and signature again.
6) Obtain a $25 money order payable to "Director of Finance" and keep it with your application.
7) Bring or mail the application to: Baltimore City Department of Recreation and Parks,
Permit Office Room 142,
3001 East Dr.,
Baltimore, MD 21217. 410-396-6003 / 7070. The office is closed Thursday -
Open Mon, Tues, Wed and Friday 9-4, but the permit office seems to open around 9:30 AM.
8) If you mail the application and money order, keep a receipt for your money order with you while metal detecting to show that you've paid your money. Snail Mail is really slow - up to three weeks.
Note: The older green permanent permit card without an expiration date: The lack of expiration date does not mean the permit is good forever and there is no "grandfather clause" that allows a liftime deferal. Proof of yearly renewal, such as a receipt, must be carried with the green card while metal detecting in city parks. You do not need this receipt if your permit card has an expiraton date on it.
Maryland Free-State Treasure Club
Victory Villa Community Center
Middle River Recreation and Parks building
404 Compass Rd.
Baltimore, MD 21220
410-887-0258 View Map